

Provost's Council
Meeting of January 31, 2019
Bacon-Crary Meeting Room
Thursday 31 January 2019, 9:00 — 12:00 EET

Present:	Ehab Abdel-Rahman Alaa-Eldin Adris Aziza Ellozy Ahmed Tolba John Swanson Lamia Eid Heba El Deghaidy Hassan El-Fawal Ghada Elshimi Nabil Fahmy Sherif Kamel George Marquis Alia Shoeib Robert Switzer Kathleen O'Neill	Provost AP-RIC AP-TLT AP-SEM AP-AE Interim Dean, LLT Interim Dean, GSE Dean, SSE Dean, ALA Dean, GAPP Dean, Business Dean of Students Interim Dean, SCE Interim Dean, HUSS Director, Academic Affairs Projects
Also Present:	Sherif El Sheemy	Director, Academic Planning & Finance

1 Approval of Agenda

- (i) Vote
Vote to Approve Agenda

13 Yes 0 No 0 Abstain 5 | Approved on 31 January 2019

2 Approval of Minutes

- (i) Vote
Vote to Approve Minutes

10 Yes 0 No 2 Abstain 6 Pending | Approved on 31 January 2019

3 Speed Round (2 minutes per Council Member)

PROVOST: Before we begin, I would like to thank all deans, Kathleen and George for their efforts in the commencements. They all went well. The reception I received from the community is positive. They liked the format of the new commencement. Yesterday we had the orientation for the parents of the new students. We admitted 100 students this year. This number will diminish in the spring as we move forward as we focus on fall enrollment.

AP-AE: Deans have already received messages from Dahlia Saad about assessment of chairs. I will be calling for a meeting next week. I would like to meet with all departments, if they will have me, to discuss the viability studies.

AP-TLT: We are working with consultants for the learning spaces. There are two proposals on the table. They are very different, so we are discussing them with the task force. Also, last semester we conducted focus groups with seven departments. I would like to continue with this this semester. The focus groups focus on undergraduate students.

Provost: Sherif Aly is leading the initiative to prepare the campus to allow every member of the community to bring their own device. This will reduce dependence on computer labs. There are some that are not well utilized. In order to do this, we have to make infrastructure changes. We also need to make sure that the software on the computer lab computers is available at all times. We are looking at revamping the spaces on campus, including the plaza level of the library and the surrounding area.

Dean of Students: Student reaction to commencement was positive. Parents reaction to commencement was that they loved it. More parents could be accommodated. Staff has said it was more organized.

Comment: I think we need to be more social after the ceremonies. There was only one table.

Comment: The teamwork between the teams was incredible. All of the suggestions that were sent. If we do this in the future, the provost's office or the president's office should stay out of it. The last minute changes were a hindrance.

Comment: Whatever we do in the future, if we do school-based ceremonies we should not do small ceremonies and then a large ceremony afterwards.

Provost: Moving forward the Office of the Provost will not play a role in the commencement. From now on, every school will have their own commencement.

Dean of Students: One more thing; SCE and Dean of Students is launching a student leadership institute, which will be facilitated by Kevin O'Connell for the pilot. Students in student organizations in leadership positions could benefit from management training. It's 2.5 hours a week for a total of 30 hours. Moving forward, we want to be able to say that in order to hold certain positions you need to have the certificate.

AP-RIC: There is the Princeton exchange through the Bartlett Fund. We had 15 applications. We shortlisted 6, and five have been accepted by Princeton. We also launched the post-doctoral fellows, but the response was not as positive. The faculty PI would have to cover $\frac{1}{3}$ of the cost. We only had three applications, and two have moved on. For the centennial, we have 10 international conferences. We have a wide range of publications. We have a number of cultural programs.

SSE: We launched the inaugural course in global health. We have a new faculty member from Palestine in the MACT department, and we are interviewing for chairs of MACT.

Special Advisor: I am working on a history of the library.

ALA: We are working on a documentary of higher education, with a focus on the last 100 years in Egypt. We have one new teacher who is a longer term contract. We were involved in one of the centennial conferences. College Bound is ready to go. We are working on the webpage. We have 30 or 31 proposals for boot camps. Some are very strong. We still need to finish the review and interview the non-AUC faculty. We want to get them down to about 20.

Provost: Please make sure that you please include seats for the ALA and LLT faculty to participate in the commencements.

SCE: I want to thank the Council for their participation in the SCE dean search process. We are meeting next week to finalize our recommendation. SCE was involved in the NileTesol conference.

LLT: With space, our labs are overused. We are moving towards taking the library 24/7. The library is preparing for the AMICAL conference on 29 March, with support from AP-RIC. The conference will focus on open access, open scholarship and related issues.

GSE: I want to thank HUSS for taking care of GSE during the commencement. We have six new students enrolled for this semester. We are welcoming a DVP from NorthPaul University. We will share the schedule of public talks once confirmed. We are starting the inclusive education diploma in Fall 2019, so we will be circulating the launch information for that program soon.

Sherif Elsheemy: So far we have not changed any of the submitted budgets and we are working with VP Gordon.

AP-SEM: From a local recruitment standpoint, we are receiving feedback. I will share the results from the consultant once received. We are trying to understand the perceptions of AUC's brand and the best way to market AUC. We have a consultant trying to increase recruitment from the US. I am following up with them regularly. We would like to recruit faculty ambassadors who can promote AUC when traveling for conferences or resources. We also have a one-time gift of 100,000 USD from one of our trustees to offer scholarships for US/international study abroad students.

GAPP: We have basically finalized an agreement to fund 5 graduate students per semester, and another agreement to fund 3 graduate students. We are working on securing funding to start a PhD program. We are looking at our programs, and are making changes, including introducing a minor in gender studies. We have had programs for South Koreans, and will be working with a Mexican delegation soon. We have solved a bit of a hiccup regarding the equivalency.

BUS: We are working to bring academics and scholars from Africa. We are expecting about 700 people. There will be workshops and seminars along with the main conference program. In February, we are launching the study on the SMEs.

Provost: In yesterday's Cabinet meeting, we reviewed the access policy. In the new draft, you will see language regarding children of community members. I will share the policy with you; please send me feedback. We reviewed the BoT agenda. It is mainly one day. The chair of the board is very keen on discussing capital planning. We will not approve anything regarding capital planning this session, but we will start the discussion. I have the plans from the schools, and I will be reviewing them. I have received a few (perhaps 5) complaints from parents who have said that the faculty are not attending the first day of classes. This is the first impression, and students often decide if they want to stay in the class. Other complaints are that the faculty did come and only covered the syllabus.

HUSS: The IPAWL conference was a collaborative conference. Surti Singh is going to be the lead on a USD 550,000 grant, that will work with institutions in Brazil and Mexico. Javed Maswood is partnering with other schools allowing 30 young scholars to spend up to six months at one of the partner institutions. This grant totals almost USD 1 million. This shows that we are putting ourselves on the map. On a sad note, our intended DVR is unable to come as she has passed away. MESA was a success. Rabab Al Mahdi led that effort.

Kathleen O'Neill: Review of conversation with HR. Discussion of the review process and the vacant positions. Kathleen will send final LOGIC reports to PC for feedback.

4 Shared Vision of Governance

AP-AE gave an overview of the different types of governing documents that exist at AUC and the way those bylaws dictate the responsibilities of the body and how the position/body relates to the other bodies on campus. We need to identify the flow of authority. What kind of bridging statements do we need to put this all together, without creating deadlock?

Almost all the documents focus on the academic area/academic body. There is another area about staff and students that is not brought into this conversation, and how those constituencies relate to each other and to the administration.

Question: Who is responsible for doing this exercise?

Comment: There is no one willing to do this, so we took it. We have so many documents across the university, but the governance is not spelled out in one document. We are not going to change anything; we just need to compile everything so we can find the gaps.

The goal is to have a single document that explains the shared vision of governance at AUC. MSCHE said we need to define governance first.

Comment: When departments are asked to write a governance document, those are the interpretations of those writing those documents.

Comment: We need to agree on the process for inclusion of all needed voices. Who should start a draft.

Comment: We are not the first university who has wanted to do this. Let's map what we have and what is missing.

Comment: There is no best practice. It varies from one university to another. We should map it against what we want.

Comment: I would not start to trying to connect the dots until the tension on campus is reduced. Announcing that this is something we want to do is needed.

Provost: The governance issue needs to be discussed with the whole community.

ACTION ITEM: Create a Google Folder with all governance documents and John's compiled document which will be a running conversation.

5 Student Code of Conduct

We passed a code of conduct last year that was much longer. When our General Counsel arrived she asked why it was so long and why the document included legalese. We wanted to streamline the policy, and we used the John's Hopkins policy as a model. We had a backlog of cases because everything was going to a committee. In this new policy, we have streamlined the process.

Comment: There is an issue with retaliation. Sometimes it's explicit and sometimes it's not. We need to make sure that this goes hand-in-hand with the whistleblower policy.

Comment: We cannot protect people off-campus. We have no control over things that happen off-campus.

Question: Number 25 is unclear. Also, can you comment on number 19?

Response: It has to do with protecting the privacy of students and community members, including when cases are reported.

6 AOB